Today, I will show you how I made this all purpose spice mix seasoning recipe at home. This spice mix seems to be all you may need in your fridge for cooking.
The other day, I was telling you guys how amazing this garlic and ginger paste has been to me. And how much I encouraged you to try making some of it at home. Because that ginger and garlic paste is a time saver and it impact lots of flavor and aroma to food.
Well, I learned a new seasoning recipe and I am supper excited to share it with you guys. After I made this all purpose spice mix seasoning, First thing I made with it was a jollof pasta with a little tomato and it came out dope.
First of all, the colour of the pasta was lit guys, then the aroma and taste is nothing to write home about. Just imagine the taste of oil infused peppers, bay leaves, rosemary, mustard seed paste, garlic and ginger paste plus salt.
You will then understand what I am trying to let you know. Another good thing about this seasoning the the fact that you can use much potion at a time without worries.
Frying Spices Is Important
Even more, I made sure I fried the bay leave and rosemary to extract as mush flavor as possible. Did I mention to you guys that one of the best way to get out flavor from your dry spices and herbs is by frying them?
Well, let me just gist you now.. If you want to get the best out of your dry spices and herbs, try to fry them first. And in this case, fry it whole because powdered spices tend to burn faster. And if it burns, it wont give result you may not get the desired result.
In addition, if you now want to go to another level with the spices, try toasting them first. I first mentioned this when I was explaining to you how to make curry powder. It was from Indian chef I learned this recipe but then I flashed back and realized that this practice is also followed in Nigeria.
Because I see that when you want to make Enugu Abacha, you first toast your ehuru and dry pepper before grinding them. Those deep and earthy notes that comes out in the food is a similar experience you will get here
How To Make All Purpose Spice Mix Seasoning
I started off making this all purpose spice mix seasoning recipe by washing the bell peppers. Then, I diced them up with onions and set them aside. After that, I now fried the rosemary and bay leave for about two minutes before adding the peppers.
And then, the garlic ginger paste plus mustard seed paste. Typically, if you want to make this seasoning, all you need is to dice up the garlic and ginger. But I used paste here instead because I had lots of it that I made not long ago.
So, I see no reason to start buying fresh one when I need to use it up fast before it becomes stale. So, once it has fried for about 50 seconds to 60 seconds, I just got it off the flame and let it chill off completely. Finally, I scooped it into a container and stored it up in my fridge for later use.
Certainly, you can make a blend of this spice mix without heating it up. All you need to do in that case is to dice up the peppers, onion, garlic and ginger. Put them in a jar, add the the rosemary, bay leave and any other herbs and spice of your choice.
And then pour a lot of cooking oil in the jar to cover up the spice blend. Then cover i and store it up in the fridge for later use.
- 3 medium size bell pepper (yellow, red and green)
- 1 medium size red onion (you can use white)
- 4 pieces of bay leave
- I tablespoon of rosemary
- 1 teaspoon of mustards seed paste
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of garlic and ginger paste
- 150ml of vegetable oil
- Wash the bell peppers with clean water, then remove the seeds and cut them into stripes
- After that, dice them up into tiny pieces
- Next, peel the onion and chop them into small pieces
- Place a clean sauce pan on a medium flame, then pour the vegetable oil into it and let heat it up
- Now put the bay leaven rosemary and salt. Fry it for about 2 minutes
- Then, pour the diced peppers and onion. Stir it for a couple of seconds
- Put the garlic ginger paste in it, add the mustard seed paste as well
- Mix it well, then let it cook for 1 minute, put off the heat and let the seasoning chill down completely
- After that, pour the seasoning in a container and store it in the fridge for later use