This easy Minced meat pie recipe is a delicious pie made with a rich filling of minced meat carrot and potato sauce. generally, meat pie is popular all of the globe and it is made in different shapes and sizes.
Growing up, I do not really love to eat meat pie, maybe because I was not used to it. Or probably because they often made it with other food ingredients that are not meat in other to cut cost.
I grow up in the Eastern part of Nigeria, and I can categorically tell you that meat is a luxury for lots of people in the region. For that reason, people resort to improvising meat with other form of protein such as texturized vegetable proteins.
How To Make Minced Meat Pie
To make minced meat pie, start by making the pie dough first. After that the minced meat sauce will be made. So let us get started, combine all purpose flour and salt in a large bowl.
Then, give it a quick mix, after that, add in the cold butter with the use of hands. Next, you want to combine the flour, sugar, salt and butter until they are well combined.
Certainly, you can use margarine in place of butter, it all depends on your choice and what you have available. Once everything is combined, go ahead and add in the cold water. And then, give it a quick mix until it all combine well and nicely.
Note that immediately the dough comes together you are good to go. Certainly, you do not need to over mix the dough, because over mixing it will result in a tougher pie.
And I believe you will rather go for the soft and crumbling minced meat pie you are used to. So, after the dough is ready, take it out of the bowl and place it in a plastic wrap or just wrap it up with a cling film.
Then, transfer it into the refrigerator or to the freezer for about one hour. While the dough is resting and cooling in the fridge, let us go ahead and make the filling for the pie.
Let Us Make The Minced Meat Pie Filling
To start, add some vegetable oil in a pan, heat it up and then add chopped onion and some minced garlic. And then, stir fry it for about two minutes or until the onion is translucent.
Also, you can use any seasoning, herbs and spices of choice. For example, you can add some chicken bouillon or beef bouillon. Next, add in some diced potatoes and some diced carrots at this point.
Then, stir fry it for about two minutes, after that, add some chopped bell peppers just for color. Also I like to add the bell pepper for the amazing sweet taste it gives to the minced meat pie filling.
So after adding all of that, go ahead and stir fry it for about one minute. Next, add in some all purpose flour in to the filling. In addition, you can swap the all purpose flour with cornstarch.
Because this act as a thickening agent so that the pie filling will not be too runny, try not to skip it. After that, add in some water enough to cook the potatoes, give it a good stir.
Taste it and adjust seasoning if you need to. Then cover it and allow it simmer on medium to low heat for about 10 minutes and the pie filling is ready looking all good appetizing. At this point, give it a quick mix , take it off cooker and allow it to cool down completely.
Molding the Minced Meat Pie In A Pan
Bring out the dough from the refrigerator. Sprinkle some good amount of flour on the work surface and place the dough on it. Cut it into two equal parts and then roll it out with a rolling pin.
Place the dough in a the pie dish or a regular baking pan nice enough that it fits in. Then, use a rolling pin to press it against the pan so it can come off the edges.
After that, take off the extra pie dough from the pan and set it aside. Furthermore, scoop the minced meat pie filling you made into the pan, level it with a scoop.
Next, roll out the other part of the dough, place it on the pan and cut off the edge with the rolling pin as in the first step. Finally, brush the surface of the pie dough with a beaten egg.
This step is important because it is going to give the pie a nice shiny golden brown finish. Once the egg washing is done, make some little cuts on the pie to prevent it from bursting whilst in the oven.
So what the little cuts do is just to ensure that any steam that develops during the baking process can easily escape through it. So, at this juncture, put the pie in a preheated oven and bake it at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 55 to 60 minutes.
What To Do With The Dough Left over
Now to use up the left over dough and minced meat pie filling, you can use a tart pans to make mini pies from the leftover dough All you need to do is to follow the steps as described above.
To start, sprinkle flour on the work surface, place the left over dough on it and roll it out. Then cut it into circles using a plate or a cup, and assemble them into the tart pan one after the other.
Fill it in with the minced meat pie filling, cover it with another layer of dough. And then finish it off with the egg wash. Also poke some holes into it to ensure it does not break open whilst it bakes in the oven.
Lastly, transfer it into the oven and let it bake for about 40 minutes. However, if you want to make the regular Nigerian meat pie shape just cut the dough into circles.
Then, fill the dough at the middle with the minced meat pie filling, close it and use a fork to seal the edges. Remember to poke some holes into on it and, bake in a preheated oven for 40 minutes
- All purpose flour
- Unsalted butter or margarine
- Mix bell peppers
- 1 egg
- Garlic and ginger paste
- Mix the salt, sugar and flour in a bowl, then add butter and mix well
- After that, add water into it, mix it until a dough is formed
- wrap the dough in a cling film and place it in the fridge for about an hour
- Whilst the dough is chilling in the fridge to solidify the butter. Chop the bell peppers and onion
- Peel and dice the potato into tiny bits. Also dice the carrot
- Place a sauce pan on a medium flame, drizzle in some vegetable oil
- Put the chopped onion and fry until it becomes translucent, Add the ginger garlic paste
- Stir it and add the minced meat, add salt, pepper, paprika, turmeric and stir for about a minute
- Put the diced potato, carrot and chopped bell pepper. Stir it for about 2 minutes
- Add some flour, mix it and add some water.
- After that, stir it and cook for about 10 minutes, after that get it off the cooker and let it chill
- Get the dough out of the fridge, cut it into 2, and roll them one at a time to a flat sheet using rolling pin
- Now place the dough in a pie dish, cut off the excess, put the minced meat pie filling in it
- Next cover it with the dough, beat the egg in a bowl. Then use a brush to egg wash the surface of the dough
- Make some lines on the dough, place it in a preheated oven and bake for for 50 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- After that, take the pie out of the oven, let it cool off on a rack and your delicious minced meat pie is recipe.