In this post, I will show you to make donuts from scratch in a different easy way you did not know about. Donuts or doughnuts are primarily yummy fried dough which are served as deserts or snacks. They smell very nice, look attractive and very delicious to eat, everyone loves to eat donuts.
Certainly, enjoy donuts on it own or put some glaze or sugar on them for extra goodness. And then, you can have them as a food or snack at any time of the day. it does not matter if it is breakfast, lunch or dinner you want to use it for.
Most importantly, anyone can make donuts with this recipe if you have the time and patience to wait during the raising period. Even more, make this Krispy Kreme donuts look alike with basically flour, sugar, yeast, milk and other ingredients.
Why Do Donuts Get Hard?
The secret to a soft fluffy donuts include frying them at the right temperature of oil. For example, If the temperature of the oil is too low, the donuts crust will be too hard and tough.
However, when you fry the donuts at an extremely high temperature, the donuts will become too dark.
For that reason, the best temperature to deep fry donuts according to experts is between 360 and 375 degrees Fahrenheit
How Do You Make Donuts From Scratch?
How you make donuts from the scratch is not as alarming as it sounds. However, donuts are very easy to make, all you need is lots of time to make.
First of all, you need to start with making the dough. All you need is to activate the active dry yeast by mixing it and sugar in a lukewarm water. After that, let it stand for about 5 to 8 minutes or till it starts forming some foamy layer at the top of the water.
At this point, that is how you will know that the yeast is alive and is capable of making the dough rise. Next thing you will want to do is to add the other ingredients such as flour, milk, eggs and so on. After that, you knead them very well till the dough is smooth and a bit elastic.
You will know the dough is ready by applying a slight pressure on it, if it bounce back in a few seconds, then you are good to go. At this point, rub some vegetable oil on it, cover it and let it rise for about an hour. After the first rise, cut it into donuts shape and let it rise the second time.
And then, fry the donuts or bake them. Even more, it is exciting to know that you can dress the donuts with different type of donuts glaze for maximum enjoyment. So Lets get started with the ingredients for this easy donuts recipe.
- All purpose flour 3 cups
- Whole fresh warm milk 1 cup
- Granulated sugar 1/4 cup
- Eggs 3 large sizes
- Active dry yeast 2 teaspoons
- Melted unsalted butter 1/2 cup
- Vanilla extract 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt 1/2 teaspoon
- Vegetable oil for frying 700 ml
How to Make Donuts
- In a tall cup, dissolve 2 tablespoons of sugar in 1/4 cup of lukewarm water. Put the active dry yeast and let rise for 5 to 8 minutes. If the yeast did not produce a foamy like substance on the surface, it is probably not alive and will not rise the dough. In that case discard it, but if the yeast is active move to the next stage
- Break the eggs into a medium size bowl, whisk it till well mixed. Then, Put the warm milk, vanilla extract extract, melted butter and mix them very well. Gradually add the active yeast you have proofed in step one above and mix
- After that, sieve the all purpose flour into the mixture, add salt and sugar, then mix it with a silicon or wooden spatula till a dough is formed
- Sprinkle some flour on a clean dry work surface, transfer the dough on it and start kneading it. Knead it for about 5 to 7 minutes or till the dough is smooth and elastic. Add little flour one at a time if the dough is becomes sticky while kneading
- Once the dough is ready, form it into a round shape, rub some vegetable oil on it and all round a bowl. Put it in the bowl and cover it tightly with a clean lit or clothe. Keep it in a warm spot to proof for about an hour to an hour thirty minutes. You will know it is proofed when it has doubled in size with bubbles on top
Frying The Donuts
- After proofing the dough, next thing is to fry it. So, to start, punch out the air in the proofed dough. Then put it on a floured work surface, roll it into a thick log. Use a donuts cutter to cut the dough log into a smaller size of donuts. Make it round like a small ball.
- Flaten each of the ball size dough. And then, use a pipping bag nozzle or similar object to poke a hole on the dough balls.
- Place the donuts on a greased baking tray, cover them and let the donut proof again for about 20 to 30 minutes
- In a deep sauce pan or frying pan, Pour the vegetable oil into it, heat it up till it is hot enough up to 360 to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Gently drop the donuts into the oil a few at a time and fry them on both side for 2 to 3 minutes. Also, you may just want to watch them fry till they all turn slightly golden brown on both side. Certainly, you want to turn them in the oil from time to time
- Remove the fried donuts, place them on a tray, and go ahead to glaze them up to you taste. Also, you can sprinkle some powdered sugar or crystal sugar on them
Can You Make Donuts In An Air Fryer?
Yes! what you need to do is to bake the prepared donuts in the air fryer for about 3 to 5 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrinhiet. So, you start by following the procedure above to prepare the dough.
After that, Preheat the air fryer for about 5 minutes, grease the air fryer with some cooking oil spray. Then place the donuts into it and cook them for 4 to 5 minutes at 350 degree Fahrinhiet.
In conclusion, I have explained to you in this article that how to make donuts at home involves activating the yeast first with lukewarm water and sugar. After that, mix all the wet ingredients (milk, vanilla extract and melted butter).
Also, add the rest of the ingredients which are flour, sugar, salt, and then mix them together till an elastic dough is formed. Proof the dough again , cut them into donuts and fry to light golden brown on both side.
Finally, I have shown you how to make donuts hole in this post. So, once you donuts are ready, dip them on any type of donut glaze of your choice and enjoy