In this recipe for rice balls, you will learn how to make the best delicious rice balls. Rice balls taste very great, they are simple and quick to make. Rice balls are crisp on the outside, cheesy and somewhat creamy on the inside. You can serve this dish on it own or served with some sauce like arrabiata sauce.
Certainly, Rice balls recipe involves making a dish from white rice. All you need to do is simply make rice and fill it with lots of mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Also, you want to add some minced meat or chicken. Some people also use ham, sausages and ground turkey.
So, once you are done with filling the rice balls with cheese and other ingredients of your choice. You make them into balls, coat them with flour, egg and breadcrumbs, and then deep fry them.
Even more, make rice balls when you have a left over rice that you want to use up. This dish can be served for dinner, lunch or breakfast.
Certainly, rice balls are popular with the Italians and they refer to it as arancini di riso. Also, the Japanese are known to make and eat lots of rice balls.
Even though they call it onigiri, they also make it differently from the Italians as theirs involves no frying.
Do You Refrigerate Rice Balls?
Yes, you do refrigerate rice balls and warm it up to eat in the microwave. Note that the eating pleasure of rice balls is in the cheesy and creamy warmed that comes from the inside. You will never get that feeling if you eat rice balls cold.
- Cooked Rice 2 cups
- Steam green peas 1/2 cup
- Chopped fresh parsley 1/4 cup
- Diced ham 5 tablespoon
- Salt 1/4 teaspoon
- Pepper 1/4 teaspoon
- Grated parmesan cheese 4 tablespoon
- Fresh egg 2 large size
- Breadcrumbs 1 cup
- All purpose flour 1 cup
How To Make Rice Balls from Scratch
- First of all, if you do not have a leftover rice, no problem. Just wash and cook the rice till it is well cooked and soft. Steam the green peas for about 5 to 10 minutes and set it aside
- After that, fry the ham with some diced onion, salt and pepper
- Now, allow the rice, green peas and ham to cool down to room temperature
- After that, Put the cooked rice in a spacious bowl, add the steamed green peas and ham
- Break one egg into the bowl and add the grated parmesan cheese
- After that, put the chopped parsley and mix all the ingredients together till they are all well combined
- Use an ice cream scoop or any scoop to scoop the rice into your hand one scoop at a time. Fill the rice balls with a small piece of mozzarella cheese one at a time and cover the cheese while forming a ball with the rice
- Break the remaining egg in a bowl, whisk it till well mixed. Put the breadcrumbs and flour in separate bowls
- After that, coat the rice balls one at a time in the flour, dip them in the egg and coat again with the breadcrumbs
- Heat up about 1 litter of vegetable oil in a Frying pan. Fry the rice balls in batches for 3 to 5 minutes. Ensure to turn the balls in the oil on each side to get them evenly cooked. Try not to over crowd the pan while frying.
- Once they are cooked, they will turn golden brown. Now take off the ball from oil and place them in a tray with a bed of of paper towel.
- Now enjoy the delicious rice balls warm. You can also dip it in a sauce of choice
Once you are talking about recipe of rice balls, it is important to wet your hands with water while forming the balls. Because the rice balls mixture are a bit soft and sticky, so, the wet hands helps a lot.
Also, before you coat the rice balls with flour, egg and breadcrumbs, you may want to refrigerate it for about an hour to aid it not to fall apart in the oil.
In this post I have told you that the best rice balls recipe involves filling rice with cheese, parsley, green peas and other ingredients. You then form the rice into balls, coat them first in an all purpose flour, then dip them in a whisk egg. After that, you coat them with breadcrumbs and dip fry them in a hot oil for 3 to 5 minutes.