How long to boil corn on the cob is a regular questions all over the net. Because boiled corn are supper easy to make, they are simply clean and delicious. This is one of the easiest ways to make corn, anytime.
So, in this post, I am going to give you the step by step method to boil corn on the cob. And how long to boil corn for best results.
During the summer months, corn is is usually more abundant here in the UK. What that means, is that you can easily see corn on a cob with their husk in the grocery stores. Most importantly, boiled corn are just supper delicious, and it couldn’t be easier to make.
In addition, I’ll show you how to season boiled corn on the cob for the best taste. And so, let us start with this classic how long to boil corn. Also read how to make popcorn at home
How Long To Boil Corn On The Cob
- So let us start with with putting some cold water into the pot. After that, place the water over the stove and let it all get to a nice big rolling boil.
- While the water is getting to a boil, it is important to husk the corn and remove the silk as well. So to husk the corn start by pooling out the outer loose leave on the corn and discard them. Then go ahead and grab the other remaining leave, pool them down and out . remove the silk and discard them
- After that, drop the corn into the boiling water one after the other till all of them have gone in. And then, boil the corn for 8 to 10 minutes. So, in about 10 minutes the corn colour has changed, the kernels are nicely cooked and tender
- However, if you are not sure whether the corn is done. Use a kitchen tong to grab one out of the water, poke the kernel with a knife or fork. If it is tender and juicy, then it’s done, if not, you can boil it for a few minutes more. Especially, when you are boiling lots of corn, it might take longer to cook
- After that, add some salt into the billing corn. Put off the heat and allow the corn marinate in the salt water for about 2 to 4 minutes. This way, the corn is going to pick up lots of nice flavours from the salted water
- At this point, take off the corn from the water using kitchen tong, place them in a plate, and enjoy. You can season them by robbing some butter on the corn, then enjoy it. Also, you can enjoy the corn and coconut for a great umami mouth feel
Now, when you make corn on the cob, there is a bit of a debate about whether or not you should add salt to the water. Certainly, salt makes the corn a bit tough and not quite as tender when you start cooking the corn with salt water.
For that reason, I recommend you put the salt when the corn is already cooked and tender, and then let it simmer for about 2 to 4 minutes. Because I really do love how salted water gives the corn some nice flavour, so, I don not skip it for any reason.
Also, if you wish to to boil your corn much later you may want to keep them in the fridge. Before you store them in the fridge do not wash them. Because, when you wash corn or allow water to touch them before putting them in the fridge, the water will encourage the corn to spoil fast.
For that reason, I recommend you store the unwashed corn in the fridge till when you want to cook them. That way, the freshness and nutrients of the corn will be preserved.
Cooking Corn In Microwave
So, cooking corn in microwave can be very helpful. And, the next technique I’m going to share is how to cook on a cob in the microwave. When I discovered this little kitchen hack, I it is so helpful and I love it.
So, this method work great if you just want to make a few pieces of corn on a cob, or if you’re just cooking for kids. Also, this will be a great option if you’re cooking for just one or two people.
First of all, here is what you are going to do, leave the corn completely intact with the husk and the silks. And then you want to pop the corn into the microwave. After that, adjust the microwave to maximum and cook it for four to six minutes.
once the corn is done, you can tweak it as you want. Worthy of note, the corn is going to be very hot after microwaving, so you may want to use a kitchen towel to remove it from the microwave. And then put it on a tray or cutting board to remove the husk.
Now here is my favourite part as the husk and silk go off the cooked corn reveling the super clean and perfectly steamed piece of corn.
Most importantly, be aware that all microwaves are somewhat different. With what I have, you can only adjust it to max, mid and so on. So, you can always walk around the type of microwave you have to achieve result.
What Can I Put On My Corn On A Cob
I am going to show you a very nice way to season corn on the cob apart from using any oil or butter. This is not because I have anything against oil or butter. In fact, some people, sprinkle some butter or oil on a corn and enjoy it.
However, let me just tell you about this technique. So what you want to do is to mix a little bit of chili powder and salt. Also mix some chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic, and then add the salt and chili all together.
After that, cut some lime into wedges, then use the lime wedges to dip it in the mixture of chili powder, spices and salt. And then you’re going to see the spices stick to the lime, rub it all over your corn, giving your lime a little bit of a squish.
This gets all those spices between all the corn nooks and crannies, and it also gives it a nice bright pop of flavour from the lime, and then you just give it another dip when it runs out. This a very nice way to season the corn on a cob.
What To Eat Corn On A cob With
There are many things you can eat corn on a cob with, but I will like to introduce this unpopular combination to you. The first one is coconut and boiled corn, this is super delicious and a very popular way of eating corn on a cab in Africa.
Also, you can enjoy boiled corn on a cob with African pear. All you need to do is to submerge the African pear into a boil salted water for 3 to 5 minutes. With that, the pear gets soft and succulent and you can go ahead and enjoy your boiled corn and pear.
In conclusion, how long to boil corn on a cob is between 8 t 10 minutes on a boiling water. Season the boiled corn with a lime wedge dipped in a mixture of salt, chili, oregano, cumin, garlic. Finally, you can eat corn with butter robbed on it. Also, use African pear or coconut to enjoy boiled corn.