Sweet potato and vegetable porridge is a healthy yummy nutrition that is well neglected and underrated. It is very simple to cook, yummy and quite appetizing.
So more often than not people tend to move towards French fries and just a few recognize how nutritious and yummy sweet potatoes can actually be.
The other time, a certain Nigeria youtuber sisiyemmie went on a campaign on her YouTube channel where she showcased a dish she made with #1500 (one thousand and five naira) which is equivalent to approximately $4 (four dollars).
Furthermore, she challenged people to try making a healthy and balance diet within the cost of $4. And I decided to join the challenge because I also believe that where you shop matters as well.
Cooking With #1500 In Nigeria
Certainly, there are a couple of delicious and nutritious dish one can make for that price which is in fact should be able to serve a family of 3 to 4 depending on your location, your food preferences and where you shop.
The reason why it is easy to achieve a healthy dish with about $4 in Nigeria is for the simple fact that you can purchase food items at a very little quantities.
For example, you can purchase fresh pepper for #50 (fifty naira), one medium size Smoked mackerel fish at about #600, 3 cups of rice at the cost of about #120 each and that will be equal to #360
Finally, buy tomato paste at #100, one seasoning cube #20, fluted pumpkin leave at #100, (vegetables is good for our body). Onion #50 and vegetable oil at #100. Certainly, this is a rough estimate, you can adjust this to suit whatever food you like to make for your family.
However, in this post, I am going to share with you how you can make a delicious sweet potato vegetable porridge within the budget of £3 (three pounds) in the UK.
List Of Ingredients
- Sweet potatoes —— 1kg
- Spinach —————– 200g
- Vegetable oil————- 1/2 cup
- Scotch bonnet chili — 1 medium piece
- Onion ———————– 1 medium size
- Sweet pointed pepper– 1 medium size
- Seasoning cube ———— 1 cube
- Crayfish (ground) ———- 4 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
How to cook Sweet Potato And Vegetable Porridge
- Peel the sweet potatoes nicely
- Cut them into small sizes like the size of the toe or a little bit more
- Wash them and place them on a sieve to drain off excess water in it
- Peel the onion, wash the scotch bonnet pepper and sweet chili
- Cut them into smaller pieces, pour everything inside a blender, add small water and blend it
- After that, put the vegetable oil into a dry pot or sauce pan on a medium heat
- Pour the pepper and onion blend in it and fry for 2 to 4 minutes
- Put 2 cups of water and and get it to a boil
- After that, put the washed sweet potatoes into the pot
- Add crayfish, seasoning cube, salt to taste and let it boil for about 6 to 8 minutes
- While the potatoes is cooking, quickly wash the vegetable (spinach) with salt and lots of water
- Slice the veggies and set them aside
- Once the potatoes is cooked, put the vegetables in, stir it for a few seconds and get the pot off the cooker ( the heat in the pot will further cook the vegetables, so it is important you don’t over cook the veggies)
- Now serve your yummy delicacy like it’s no man business lol
Certainly, you can swap in and out of the ingredients I used in this recipe. For instance, you can add dry fish, chicken or meet to this food just work around your taste and budget. Even more, you can use a different type of leafy vegetable like kale or any vegetable of choice.
Most importantly, use palm oil in place of vegetable oil if you like to, it all depends on your taste and what your family like yo eat. In addition put some scent leaf or basil leaf for extra flavour.
In conclusion, this is a healthy recipe that is well balanced as you have almost all you need in a food in this dish. And the most exciting part is that, it cost very little to achieve this delicacy