How to cook egusi soup without frying it is very simple quick and easy. So egusi seed also known as melon seed is already rich in fat but that is not a problem at all. In fact, egusi seed is loaded with lots of health benefits.
However, frying egusi in the oil may lead to high risk of many diseases including cancer, diabetes, heart disease and so on. And for the reason that when you fry egusi in oil, you may be increasing the the chance of having an overload of trans fat in the soup.
And that for the most part is certainly not good for the body. Obviously, egusi soup is tasty, yummy and healthy for all. Due to that, you have made a good decision to consider cooking your egusi soup without frying.
By visiting this post I believe, you are among the thousands of people looking to cook their egusi the possible healthiest way they can
Egusi Soup is Classic
Even more, egusi seed is rich in protein, vitamins and other nutrients. Similarly, Egusi contain high amount of folate which is healthy for the body. Most especially, very healthy for a pregnant woman.
First of all, if you are looking for how to cook egusi soup without frying it and still get a delicious, mouth smacking soup. Then stick around because in this post, I am going to walk you through to a simple and easy way to cook the tastiest egusi soup without any need to fry anything.
Secondly, In this post, you will also understand that egusi soup is one of the most popular soup in Nigeria, and by extension, in Africa. Also, it is a classic delicacy that grace any events and parties in Nigeria.
Similarly, this soup is the second in command to Nigeria jollof rice when Nigeria party is involved. Because there are many ways and probably hundred ways and recipes to cook egusi soup.
Including frying method, also the use of water leaf and bitter leaf to make egusi soup. In addition, there is another way to make egusi soup with spinach or ugu/ugwu fluted pumpkin leaf. But today, we are going to cook it in a special way that you will read below.
So let us all get started with cooking this soup from the ingredients.
- 3 cups of ground egusi seed
- 1kg of beef
- 1kg of cow head
- 2 pieces of tatashi (you can use shumbo)
- Medium size of cod fish head (isi okporoko)
- 2 Pieces of dry cat fish
- 3 Pieces of scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 Big size of onion
- 2 Table spoon of ground crayfish
- 2 Cubes of bouillon seasoning
- 1/2 Cup of red oil
- 1 Cup of washed bitter leaf
- salt to taste
Please, you can swap in and out of any of these ingredients I used here. For example, you can use goat meat to make this soup or replace the cod head with the whole cod. Also, you may bring in some mackerel fish, both fresh or smocked one is cool.
Similarly, you may swap bitter leaf with with any vegetable of choice like ukazi or not put vegetable at all.
Furthermore, add kpomo/ponmo, snails, Nigeria periwinkle or cow intestine (shaki/towel) chopped into smaller pieces for garnishing.
How To Cook Egusi Soup Without Frying
Firstly, prepare all of the ingredients and set them aside. So let us start with washing the tatashi pepper. After that, blend or pound them with a blender or mortar and pestle
In addition, wash all the dry fish with warm water to get rid of all dirt and sand. Then, wash the meat.
- Put the washed cow head in a pot, add the cod (okporoko) plus some water and start cooking
- Chop the onions, throw it into the pot, put some salt, ground crayfish, and seasoning cubes
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes because cod and cow head takes time to cook
- After that, put the washed beef
- Add the dry fish and cook till almost soft
- Once the meat is cooked, pour some water about 3 cups into the pot
- Put the red oil
- And get is it to boil for 3 to 5 minutes
- Now, add the ground crayfish, the remaining seasoning cube, salt to taste, the ground pepper and tatashi (the tatashi help the soup to have a rich colour, but you can skip it if you don’t want it)
- After that, cook it for another 3 to 5 minutes to let all the ingredients blend together
- Pour the ground egusi seed into the pot, stir the soup, lower the cooker and cook it again for 6 to 10 minutes
- Stir the soup at interval to avoid it from getting burned
- After that, put the bitter leave stir it and cook for 3 to 5 minutes
- And the soup is ready to be enjoyed. Also, read how to make the kings soup ofe owerri
Tips And Summary
In conclusion, enjoy egusi soup with pounded yam, akpu or fufu. Also, you may eat egusi soup with a well prepared yellow or white eba. Also read how to make egusi soup the boiling method
In addition, enjoy this mouth watery delicacy with starch, amala, or simply enjoy it alone. Certainly, any how you want to eat this egusi soup, you will enjoy it.
I hope this post is very helpful, and please drop any of your questions in the comment below and I will answer all of them as soon as I can.
Lastly, read also how to make bitter leaf soup here with palm fruit