Curry powder is basically a condiment made with several pungent spices and other ingredients. However, in this post I will be walking you through to how to make Nigeria curry powder.
certainly, by Nigeria curry powder, I mean the type of curry powder the Nigerians are familiar with. There are many ways to make curry powder across the globe. But, here is the simple way to make Nigeria curry powder at home.
Most importantly, Nigeria curry powder is a blend of some aromatic spices and herbs. In addition, these ingredients when mixed together give a deep brownish yellow powder that is rich in flavour and aroma.
Even more, curry powder is one of the top seasoning in Nigeria that massively benefits the health. For instance the active chemicals compound curcumin of turmeric in curry powder has anti inflammation. Also read how turmeric is made
First of all, turmeric powder occupies the larger part of Nigeria curry powder which give the consumer an advantage to benefit more from this rich medicinal spice.
List Of Ingredients For Nigeria Curry Powder
- 3 spoons of turmeric powder
- 2 spoon of fennel powder
- 1/2 spoon of ground cumin
- 1 spoon of ground coriander
- Halp spoon of ground dey pepper
- 1/4 of ground clove
- 1/2 spoon of paprika powder
- 1/4 ground fenugreek
- Pour all the measured ingredients into a zip lock bag
- Zip up the bag and shake it vigorously for about 1 to 2 minutes to get the whole mixture mixed up properly together
- After that, pour the curry powder into an air tight container and keep for later use
- Pour the ingredients that you have measured into a medium size stainless bowl
- Mix it with a spoon for about 2 to 3 minutes orl until the whole ingredients is mixed up in such a way that the powder is uniform
- After that, put the curry powder in an air tight container and store
However, if you have any of these spice whole, that is you have some of the spices in an unground form. toast them before you grind them for an amazing flavour.
- Gather a suitable portion of the dry seed of cumin, cloves, and the other whole ingredients together
- Put a frying pan on a cooker
- Heat the frying pan until it is hot enough on a medium heat
- Pour all the whole spices into the frying pan and toast it for about 20 to 40 seconds
- After that, allow them to cool down, then pour all of them into a coffee blender or any sharp food processor you have and blend them into a powder
- And this is how the curry powder if formed
The reason to toast the whole spices and herbs is to get them bristle for easy and effective grinding. Even more, the toasting make the spices more flavourful. You mak like to read what Nigeria hot spices are.
In Summary, use curry powder to make jollof rice, curry sauces, fried rice, stew and so on.
How do you like your curry powder?