Because of how well people sort after Nigeria jollof rice, people frequently ask what Nigeria jollof rice recipe is. Even more, they ask also what Nigeria jollof rice seasoning is just to enable them to cook the perfect jollof.
First of all, Jollof rice is a reddish orange coloured dish basically made with tomato, onion, vegetable oil and seasoning. In addition, make jollof with palm oil and dry fish, seasoned with scent leaf or basil. Also, make jollof rice just with turmeric vegetable oil and other ingredients to form a yellow rice.
Furthermore, there are many recipes of jollof rice, but no two different recipes of jollof rice taste exactly the same. However, there is a signature taste of Nigeria party jollof rice which people mostly use as a bench mark.
Certainly, a perfect Nigeria jollof rice recipe result to a smoky or char note dish. So, in this post, I am going to walk you through to how to make a perfect Nigeria jollof rice with a simple recipe.
Nigeria Jollof Rice Recipe
First of all, consider that the following factors: the type of rice, cooking condition and ingredients impact on the taste and texture of the jollof rice.
Most importantly, I will be using a regular long grain rice and some of the best Nigeria jollof rice seasoning for this post.
list Of Ingredients
- Tomato paste (120g)
- Fresh tomato
- Nutmeg (ground)
- Oregano (ground)
- Scotch bonnet pepper
- Curry powder
- Bay leaf
- Big size of red and white onion
- Vegetable oil
- Seasoning cubes
- Wash the scotch bonnet pepper and fresh tomato, remove 2 or 3 medium size of the fresh tomato for later use
- Peel off the skin of the ginger and garlic, add everything together into a blender, put a small water and blend. After that, set it aside
- Clean and slice the red onion into small pieces
- Place a pot on a cooker, put the cooker on and let the heat dry any water in the pot
- After that, pour some vegetable oil in the pot and heat it for about 2 to 3 minutes or until you can smell the heat from the oil
- Put the onion in the oil, and stir fry it for about 2 minutes
- After that, pour the tomato paste and the mixture of the fresh tomato, pepper, ginger and garlic you blended earlier on
- Fry the tomato for about 10 to 15 minutes in a medium heat or until the sour taste of the tomato is gone. Taste the sauce to confirm that the sour taste is gone
- When the tomato is cooked, pour some water in, turn it and let it boil
- Wash the raw rice with a warm or cold water and pour it into the boiling sauce
- Turn it and add some salt and seasoning cubes to taste
- Put some oregano powder, the ground nutmeg, thyme, curry powder, 2 or 3 leave of bay leaf, about 1 to 2 spoons of paprika powder and some curry powder
- Turn it, cover the pot and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes
- After that, cover the pot with a foil, then place the lid of the pot on the foil like this
For the reason that the foil helps to trap water molecules that would have otherwise escaped in form of a steam. Please, do add water in moderation before putting the washed rice.
Most importantly, the foil trap in the burned aroma into the jollof when the rice start burning. So, this burned flavor mix with the flavours released from all the spices and herbs used in cooking this rice. Certainly, this result to a well rich and complex delicious jollof rice.
Also, use foil to cover the pot to help the rice come out in a very free flowing jollof rice not those gummy or soggy type of jollof
In addition, tit is his burned note give that signature party jollof rice taste.
Furthermore, Use habanero pepper in place of scotch bonnet if that is what you have available. Also, use tatashe or shombo in place of paprika, just use what you can find around you.
- After covering the pot with foil, let the rice cook for about 10 minutes on a medium heat level. Certainly, the rice will start burning at this pot, you will perceive the aroma if it has started burning from the bottom of the pot
- Slice the white onion and the fresh tomato we placed aside from the beginning in a circular shape
- Put off the heat and add the sliced white onions on top of the rice
- Mix everything together, cover the pot and allow it to seat for about 2 to 4 minutes
- Serve with any meat of fish of choice
In conclusion, serve jollof rice with a fried ripened plantain, salad, steamed leafy vegetables or any side of your choice. Also, read how to make coconut jollof rice, Thai fried rice, Beef sauce for rice
How do you like your jollof?