Fish jollof rice recipe is a tasty jollof cooked with smocked mackerel. If you are looking for jollof recipe that is moreish, then look no further. Because I am going to walk you through to a simple fish jollof rice recipe.
Jollof rice is a classic staple African delicacy that is loved by many. In fact someone once said that jollof rice represent a symbol of hope In Nigeria. This is because there is no party or any event without jollof rice because of the love people have for it.
Furthermore, cook jollof rice with the basic ingredients such as tomato, vegetable oil, pepper, onion, meat, fish or chicken.
In addition, people cook jollof in different ways, with different types of ingredients. Even more, some add coconut cream, while some cook it with vegetables.
However, this fish jollof rice recipe will give you that lasting delicious rice dish that you will want more. So, below is the simple and easy fish jollof rice recipe you have been waiting for.
How To Cook Fish Jollof Rice
Below is the steps to making fish jollof rice.
List Of Ingredients
- Fresh tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Fresh ginger
- Fresh garlic
- Scotch bonnet pepper
- Smoked mackerel fish
- Basil flakes
- Oregano flakes
- Chicken (optional)
- Curry Powder
- Bay leaf
- Seasoning cubes
- Vegetable oil
First of all, get all the ingredients ready. Read also how to make coconut rice
- Wash and slice the fresh tomatoes and pepper into small pieces and set them aside. For the reason that I used a can chopped tomatoes, there was no need to chop mine again.
- Peel off the skin of the ginger and garlic cloves, wash them and dice them into tiny pieces
- Also slice the onions and set it aside,
- Wash the smocked mackerel fish with warm water, remove the bones and break it into smaller pieces like this
- After that, cut the chicken into a desired size, wash it and place it a pot
- At this point, add some thyme, bay leaf, seasoning cubes, onion, salt to taste. Also, a little bit of the diced ginger and garlic, put it on a cooker and start cooking
- Cook the chicken till it is soft and tender on a low heat
- After that, put of the heat and set the chicken aside
- Wash the raw rice, drain out the water and set it aside. Certainly, a lot of people like to par boil their rice first before cooking. However, I do not want my rice to be soggy,. So, I feel that par boiling it may lead to that. But you can go ahead and par boil if that is how you like it. Also, read how to make Thai fried rice
The Actual Cooking
- Place a pot on a cooker, put on the cooker and let the water in the pot get dried
- Pour some vegetable oil in the pot and heat it for a few minutes
- Put the sliced onion and let it fry until it turns brown
- Add the chopped pepper, tomatoes both the paste and the chopped fresh one
- Cook it until the there is no more water left in it. Taste it to make sure that the sour taste of tomato is no longer present. Even more, at this stage, the vegetable oil will be mostly visible on the surface of the tomato like this
- Add the diced garlic, ginger, bay leaf, seasoning cubes, salt to taste, curry powder. Also, put some basil flakes, oregano, thyme and some paprika
- Add the chicken stock, stir and cook for about 5 to 8 minutes
- Scoop some stew out. Certainly, this stew is for the chicken. Pour it in the cooked chicken, mix it and set it aside for later use
- Pour some water in the remaining stew, stir it and get it to a boil
- After that, pour in the washed rice, stir it, and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes
- Taste the water of the rice to check if there is need for more spices, salt, seasoning and adjust them accordingly
- Place the washed smoked mackerel on the rice now, cover it and cook till that rice is cooked
- Put some slice onion on it and turn the rice. At this point, the food in ready