Chin chin is a crunchy snack popular in Nigeria and west Africa. Also, it is worthy of note to know how to make spicy chin chin at home for the Christmas season. As a result this snack is cut and presented in difference sizes and shapes
Furthermore, Chin chin is a fried or baked dough of wheat flour in combination with some baking ingredients. Also, the snack can be served in parties, restaurants, event as starter before serving the main meal of the occasion.
However, people use this snack to welcome their guests by serving them some, especially in this Christmas period. Also, many homes and individuals snack on it while at home, cinema or on the go.
For instance, in Nigeria, when a special or well welcome guest visits, he is served some of this snack as a form of Kola nut which signifies that the visitor is well welcomed by his host. And *kola nut” means to Nigerians a gift or any presentation made to a visitor in welcome of their present.
Above all, packaged this snack in a varieties of packaging materials for commercial purposes. Also, package this snack in an air tight plastic containers of diverse size, in LDPE bags or foils.
First of all, chin chin are basically made with wheat flour, sugar and some baking ingredients, sometimes a pinch of nutmeg is added. Because in this write up, I, am going to walk you through on how to make spicy chin chin with ginger.
This recipe exposes how to have a never had before sweet and savoury snack taste with a lasting good snacking experience
List of Ingredients
Below are the list of the ingredients needed for this mouth smacking crunchy snack
- Wheat flour
- Salted butter
- Frying oil
- Liquid milk
- Baking powder
- Ground chili
Baking power gives the snack a more crunchy and less tough texture. Also use unsalted or salted butter, it doesn’t matter. Summarily, add a pinch of salt to the mix if you want to use an unsalted butter of margarine.
Use moderate amount of the ginger, onion, chili and nutmeg. This makes the snack to get a well rounded spicy taste. In Conclusion, make sure the oil does not drop in temperature. Because when the temperature of the oil is too low, the snack will soak up some oil which is not good.
How To Make spicy Chin Chin
First of all, grind the chill, onion, ginger, and nutmeg. However, you can purchase the spices in ground form to eliminate the grinding step
- Sieve the flour into a bowl with a sieve
- Add, ginger, sugar, nutmeg, onion, baking powder, chilli and mix
- Put the salted butter and mix. Ensure the mixture is well blend and consistent.
- Add the raw cracked eggs into the bowel and continue mixing
- Pour the liquid milk just as required and mix.
- Sprinkle a little flour in the bowl to reduce stickiness
- Kneed the dough until it stop sticking to the bowl, that’s how to know that the dough is ready
Finally, you have an end product of dough which is slightly tough.
Frying The Chin chin
- Spread some flour on a hard surface
- Place the dough on a clean strong surface
- Sprinkle some flour on the surface of the dough to reduce stickiness
- Smooth and flatten the dough with a rolling pin
- Slice the dough into desired shape and size with knife or pizza cuter.
- Set deep fryer at temperature of 160 degree. Once the temperature of the oil is at the desired temperature then
- Add the dough into the oil to fry for about 8-10 minutes or until it turns light brown.
- Take them out of the oil into a clean sieve.
Lastly, the crunchy snacks is ready for consumption. Enjoy this snacks with home made smoothies, water or any drink of choice.