What Is Ofe Owerri
Ofe Owerri is a rich African food made with assorted meat, fish and other ingredients. Have you ever been to my city? lol. I mean the city of Owerri in Imo state Nigeria? you need to know how to cook ofe owerri in that city even if you don’t learn any other thing. Owerri people know how to sacrifice lack of appetite on the altar of delicious ofe Owerri. When it comes to some sumptuous local delicacies in terms of anything swallow, the guys from the Eastern part of Nigeria seem to do it a lot better.
Of all the delicious African food and soups you can think of having in the Eastern Nigeria, soups ranging from the popular bitter leaf soup, oha soup, ukazi soup and so on. Furthermore, Owerri soup is one of the most sort after soups in the city of Owerri and by extension Eastern region of Nigeria and beyond.
I call it the King soup because there is this popular saying in Igbo land that says “onye na ejighi ego onaghi eri ofe owerri” Which means a broke person doesn’t eat owerri soup.
OFE OWERRI is a very rich African food made with a lot of healthy natural locally made ingredients, this soup is not like the regular egusi soups one can afford at random. Because of how rich and delicious this soup is, it requires some money and expertise to make it. Also,there is no limitation to how much ingredients one can use in making the soup, as a king soup, a whole lot of assorted fish and meat are needed to get that complex taste of ofe Owerri.
A combination of two vegetables is needed for this African food, Oha leaf and ukazi leaf is used typically. however, a combination of ugu (pumpkin leave) and ukazi can also be used to make the food. To get the thickening effect of the soup, a lot of people use the traditional method of coco yam, however, some people may not be able to get hold of coco yam therefore yam or ofo happens to be a great option too.
List Of Ingredients
lot of ingredients are used for making ofe Owerri, including snails, periwinkle, mushroom and so on but for the purpose of this post. For he purpose o this write up, I will be listing only the following ingredients in making the soup. The list include:
- Dry fish
- Stock (cod) fish
- Seasoning cubes
- Goat meat
- Oha leaf
- Thickener ( I used ground ofo)
- palm fruit extract
- Dry fish
How To Cook Ofe Owerri
- Pick, wash and shred the ukazi into tiny strands with a sharp knife
- Pluck and Shred the oha leaf
- Clean and wash all the fish with warm water, removing all the bone
- wash the shaki, the goat meat, fish and vegetables and set aside
- Get the shaki to a boil first in a medium size pot as it is mostly tough and takes longer time to cook. Boil it for about 15 to 20 minutes before adding the goat meat, stock and dry fish
- put some cubes, salt, a little pepper and stir
- Pour in the palm fruits extracts/concentrate or palm oil.
- Allow all the meat to cook till tender, then add the dry fish and red oil and boil for about 10 to 15 minutes
- Add crayfish, pepper, salt, bouillon cubes to taste, stir and continue cooking for some more minutes
- Put the ofo and stir
- Cook for about 5 to 10 minutes in a low heat for the soup to thicken. Stir at interval to avoid the soup from burning.
- Add ukazi as the first vegetable into the pot, let it boil for about 5 minutes.
- Melt the ogiri akwukwo in water and add to the soup, stir is thoroughly
- Pour the washed oha into the pot, stir and allow to simmer for about 2 to 3 minutes. The mouth watering Owerri soup is ready.Serve warm with any fufu of choice
In addition, be aware that Shaki is a part of Cow intestine, cow intestine was used for this cooking. Because of its toughness. Cook it for several minutes before adding other meat and fish for the cooking. Therefore, use palm oil as an alternative for palm fruits extract if you are unable to access palm fruits extract.
Use cocoyam as alternative to ofo. cook the cocoyam peel off the skin and pound it in a mortar with pestle. Put the cocoyam in the soup just the time you were supposed to add ofo.
What do you enjoy in ofe owerri and how do you cook yours?